Thursday, February 14, 2013

Why I don't Need Flowers on Valentine's Day

I am the typical wife. I expect to be treated with utmost importance and I'm a hearts and flowers kind of girl (like Anastasia Steele) and I do want to receive flowers.

My husband, on the other hand, has never been the romantic type. He's more so the typical husband who takes care of the bills, the food on the table and the roof over our heads.

We've been together since 2001 and through all these years, he's never given me a single rose or any flower at that. It's not practical, he says. I used to feel bad during those times when Valentine's Day came and I was hoping that that'll be the year that I'd receive flowers from him. But, the flowers never came and I'd feel very sad, thinking maybe he doesn't love me that much for him to give me something that would truly make any girl happy.

source

Today being Valentine's Day and after seeing bouquets after bouquets of gorgeously fragrant blossoms arrive at the office for the other girls, I thought long and hard - do I still feel bad that my husband still hasn't given me any?

I was surprised when I realized that my answer is NO. I don't feel sad at all. Neither do I have any resentment that my husband isn't like some guys who'd go through so much effort on Valentine's Day just to make their girlfriends or wives feel loved.

I don't need Valentine's Day to make me feel loved because I am loved. I am loved by a husband who willingly cooks because his wife sucks in the kitchen. I am loved by a husband who, even half-heartedly, gets up on a Saturday to bring us to the mall just because I am bored to death at home. I am loved by a husband who understands my moods, knows when it is time to shut up and wait until I get over all the drama. I am loved by a husband who chose to be with me and stayed beside me for twelve long years - flaws, PMS, flab and all.

source

My husband may never shout it out to the world, he may never write me love letters, he may never give me flowers on Valentine's Day (or on any other day) - but I don't need any of it. Because Valentine's Day is not about how huge your bouquet is or how red your roses are. Valentine's Day is all about love. I am loved - every single day of the year. And I'd rather have that than the reddest of all roses on Valentine's Day.



No comments:

Popular Posts