Friday, February 22, 2013

She doesn't Work?!

source

I saw this on my Facebook feed today and just have to share. See, even on this modern day and age, there are still some people who look down on women who stay at home instead of go to an office to work. I was among those who were judged, looked down upon and taken for granted. Why? Because according to them, I was just a housewife and I didn't work.

I quit my job when I became pregnant and didn't return to working until my son is old enough to walk, eat and utter a few words. During those years that I was staying at home I received a lot of criticism. Criticism coming from men and women alike (some even stay at home moms like me) who think that being "just a housewife" is almost the same as not existing. That because I didn't contribute financially to the family, I was worthless. That because I didn't get out of the house to go to an 8-5 day job, I didn't have a right to get tired at the end of the day.

Stay-at-home moms or wives are the most taken for granted people. I think this is because people are becoming more materialistic each day and every effort must be met with a huge paycheck. Since stay-at-home moms or wives don't earn a single cent because they "just stay at home and don't work", does it mean that they are worthless?

Heck, no! In truth, these women are actually working more than those in the corporate world. While the yuppies log in at eight in the morning, sit in front of the computer until five in the afternoon, stay-at-home moms or wives do manual labor - prepare meals, wash the dishes, do the laundry, clean the house, take care of the kids, take care of the husband, take care of the dogs - from dawn until the late hours of the evening. And they do all of these for free! If that's not called work, then I don't know what is.

So, I am hoping that people become a little bit more open-minded, be more appreciative and less judgmental when it comes to stay-at-home women. Give them a break, help whenever you can and banish all negative remarks because after all, these women, though staying at home, actually has more work than most people in the "professional world".

Just saying.

No comments:

Popular Posts