Thursday, June 16, 2011

Catching Up

I’m so sorry for the lack of posts these past few days. There were a lot of catching up that had to be done. I had to catch up on soliciting votes for the Nuby We Love You, Daddy Father’s Day Contest that I joined in Facebook, so if you still haven’t voted click here! Voting ends on Sunday, Father’s Day.

Another thing that I had to catch up on was my reading. I know I have been posting book reviews every now and then and I’ve been reading some E-books but those are different. There’s nothing like the joy of tearing up the wrapping of a new book and inhaling the scent of its pages. Eww, right, but I’m weird that way.

Anyway, I think the last time that I actually read a book that I’m really excited about was when I was reading “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” and, hello, I’ve already given birth eight months ago. So, now I am catching up.

I am currently reading Mommy Wars by Leslie Morgan Steiner.

DSCF6204

When I saw this at BookSale, I instantly grabbed it and headed on to the cashier. I’ve been having my own “Mommy Wars” inside my brain – to be a working mom or to be a stay-at-home mom (SAHM). So far, the latter is winning but the former is not far behind.

This book is a compilation of the different points of views and experiences of SAHMs and working moms. I’ve been learning a lot from this book and there are some plenty of occasions that I find myself nodding in agreement to what I was reading.

Here are some quotes from the book that struck me the most:

From a SAHM - “It strikes me as downright bizarre that studies assessing the benefits of maternal versus other care express it in terms of IQ, academic achievement, professional status later in life, quantifiable socialization. This is love we’re talking about, not an LSAT-prep course.”


From the daughter of a SAHM while watching a wealthy mother on TV choking up over how much she loves her son - “Yeah, you love him so much, how come you leave him with some nanny person all the time?”


From another SAHM - “It takes a strong ego to stay home with your kids. Motherhood is, in many ways, a dead-end job.”


I highly recommend this book even though I’m not done reading it. The first few pages that I’ve read have opened my eyes to what the other camp (working moms) are saying and what they really feel. It also allowed me to take a glimpse on the lives of SAHMs like me and know that I am not alone in my insecurities and anxieties.

It will be a long, hard battle between the two camps, each claiming to be better than the other, but as one working-mom-turned-SAHM wisely put in the book, “We are all good mothers, the best we know how to be.”


Amen to that.

2 comments:

Jhan said...

must be a good book!
Will try to get one for myself. :D

Jhan said...

must be a good book.
will try to get myself a copy.

Popular Posts