Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Best Dad

My father is the most silent man I've ever known. He is not the stereotypical kind of dad who is usually the disciplinarian in the family. During my teens, when I thought I already knew everything and I've made quite a few a mistakes, I remember my Papa not giving me any tongue-lashing not even raising his hand to hit me. What he would do is talk to me at the breakfast table before he went to work. These talks are what gets to me much more than a slap in the face. I ended up crying after these talks and I know that my father's discipline method is what made me a better person today. I was raised with respect for my father instead of fear.

Today, my father is older and I would say wiser. He values his family so much that he would do everything he can to help my other siblings who need assistance, he gives advice when we ask for it and he respects every decision that we make.

He is still the silent man I grew up with, choosing to walk away from an argument than meeting anger with anger, he is still the handyman at home who knows how to fix everything, he is still the loving father who kisses us and hugs us whenever we come home to visit him and Mama and he is still the father that I greatly respect and truly for me he is the Best Dad in the World.


Here is Papa trying to fight back tears when he gave his message during our wedding reception.

---------------------------

The leader of the band is tired
And his eyes are growing old
But his blood runs through
My instrument
And his song is in my soul --
My life has been a poor attempt
To imitate the man
I`m just a living legacy
To the leader of the band.

-The chorus from the song Leader of the Band usually reminds me of my Papa and never fails to put tears in my eyes.


Happy Father's Day, Papa!


No comments:

Popular Posts