Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Faces of Tondo

When I was a child I got admitted to a hospital and was diagnosed with Meningitis. It was a critical time because I was barely a toddler then and the possible complications of the disease include: Brain damage, Hearing loss or deafness, Hydrocephalus and Loss of vision. My mom, naturally, was bothered and searched for ways to make me well. Being the religious woman that she is, it is no surprise when she went to the Sto. Niño to ask for help. She then made a promise that every year, during the feast of the Sto. Niño in Tondo, she will visit and take me there if only the Niño will rid me of the disease. Her wish was granted and up to this day, we both make an effort to keep that promise to the Sto. Niño, never minding her long travel from Laguna and the huge number of devotees also wanting to get near the miraculous image. 

This year, we went a day before the actual feast day. We went on January 16th, Saturday, so we can have all our Sto. Ninos at home blessed and we can go up the church tower to pray and say thanks to the Sto. Niño de Tondo sans the long hours standing in line with the other devotees.

I am always emotional whenever I am standing in front of the Niño, I could not explain how I feel but I guess it is just deep gratitude for saving me when I was sick as a kid. I realized that I am not just accompanying my mom on her "panata", I am doing a promise of my own to the Sto. Nino, every year on his feast, I will be there at the Tondo Church to give praise and thanks.


The Sto. Nino de Tondo

Another Niño waiting to be blessed

Our Sto. Niño at home

Law Enforcer Niño

All the Niños waiting to be blessed
An ati-atihan girl carrying our Sto. Niño


Mama and the Sto. Niño Church facade

Mama and our Sto. Niño with his brand new clothes



Popular Posts